- We don't sell battery packs, but please read on ............
- We highly recommend Lithium-Ion battery packs. These are the same batteries that you have in your laptop and they have proven to be safe when used with the proper charger. Li-Ion provides the most power in the smallest package size.
- Battery pack voltage will determine the top speed of your loco. We have found that 14.8 volts works for most large scale locomotives. Some smaller critters may get by with only 11.2 volts. And some large diesels may require 18.5 volts or more. Run your locomotive on track power at the fastest speed you would ever like to run. Measure the track voltage. Add 1 or 2 volts to account for losses. And then look for a pack rated near that voltage.
- Battery pack mah (milli-amp-hour) rating will determine your maximum run time. A general rule of thumb is most locomotives draw 1 amp or less. So a 2200 mah battery would last two or more hours, while a 4400 mah battery would last 4 or more hours. (milli-amp-hours)/ (Loco's current draw in milli amps) = hours of run time. 1 amp = 1000 milli-amps.
- We highly recommend All-Battery.com as your supplier of battery packs and chargers.
14.8V Li-Ion Charger (usually $20-$25)
Purchase "bare leads", then solder on our "Battery Connectors" for compact, safe connections.
Buy our "Charging Plug with wires" (included in our Battery Conversion Module with charging kits)
to interface with the charging jack in our Battery Conversion Modules.
- 18.5V Li-Ion battery packs can be obtained at G Scale Installations and RCS of New England.
- Of course you may use any battery technology you like: Ni-Cad, Ni-Mh, Gel Cells, Drill batteries. As long as the voltage stays between 7 and 25 volts (Note, voltages are lower than rated when near discharge, and higher than rated after a full charge.)
- The Low Voltage Warning circuits found in our controls are intended for use with Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer batteries.
- Excellent information about the various battery technologies can be found at BatteryUniversity.com